SoundClick Boards :: View topic - 49th CC Showcase - Preliminary 1 - Voting is CLOSED
SoundClick Home
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in    join now 
Home  My.SoundClick  Music  Community  Videos  Forum  FAQ

49th CC Showcase - Preliminary 1 - Voting is CLOSED
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoundClick Boards Forum Index -> Critics Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larry Ludwick
7th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: 49th CC Showcase - Preliminary 1 - Voting is CLOSED Reply with quote

Here are the 10 entrants listed in entry order. Listen to them and then vote in this thread.

To Vote: Post in this thread. You must pick your 3 favorites from the 10 entrants. If you do not pick 3 favorites your votes will not be counted, so be sure you pick 3.

You must number your 3 selections based on your opinion.
You can also add up to 3 Honorable Mentions for other entrants not in your top 3. These are optional. You can award None or 1 or 2 or 3 (max). These will all receive a single point. Reminder, these are Optional.
Note: If you are entered in the Showcase, you must vote but you can’t give any votes to your own entry.

Voting lasts 7 days. (May 6th approximately 8 AM EST)

The radio station is: Radio Station - 49th CC Showcase - Preliminary 1

Points have been counted up to the vote by Protex

Each first place vote indicated by a Thumbs up = 4 points
Each second place vote indicated by a Congratulations! = 3 points
Each third place vote indicated by a Coffee = 2 points
Each Honorable Mention vote indicated by a Cheers! = 1 point

SHOWCASE IS CLOSED

Points _#_ Musical Selection

.11.. - 1 – Densyl - DA-DUM blues Congratulations! Coffee Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!

.23.. - 2 – Mike B is for Byj - Stop, You! Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Congratulations! Congratulations! Coffee Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!

.10.. - 3 – boris - Socially Mixed Congratulations! Coffee Coffee Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!

..1.. - 4 – Heavy Sigma - Full House Theme Song (2nd Remix) Cheers!

..7.. - 5 – Goths on Drugs - Everyone is Dead Coffee Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!

.23.. - 6 – Larry Ludwick - Mannequins in Love Thumbs up Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations! Coffee Coffee Coffee Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!

.20.. - 7 – Mark Wilson (NC) - 2:00 Am Thumbs up Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations! Congratulations! Coffee Cheers! Cheers!

..7.. - 8 – Skyydancerdreams - The Rules of Your Game Coffee Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!

.37.. - 9 – The Footnotes - I want my baby back Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Thumbs up Congratulations! Coffee Coffee Coffee

.11.. -10 – On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You Thumbs up Congratulations! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers! Cheers!

...Larry Ludwick

Also, try my other page:
...Speak Words Speak

Last edited by Larry Ludwick on Tue May 07, 2013 2:02 pm; edited 7 times in total
hurtchow
Forum Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Densyl - Hey guys I think this sounds nice, sharp, and clear but ultimately unfinished! When/if the lyrics present themselves I hope you give this another go.

Boris - This is ten years old!? Is it a homemade recording? Sounds really sharp and clear. Why is that sax soloing out of key? Is it a sampled solo or something?

Heavy Sigma - Why does this exist? It's weird. I think I get the joke. Reminds me of the time Michelle took all the pancakes, poured the syrup on top of the stack, and said "you better make more, these people look hungry!"

Goths on Drugs - Your usual fare I suppose. Mixing is pretty cool, I got a 3D feel from listening to this. Some things sound like they are far away, and others up close. Cool, how do you do that!??

Larry Ludwick - I often have pictures in my head when I listen to your tracks, Larry. A lot of time it reminds me of music that you'd hear in a role playing game when you're exploring a town and talking to people. Sorry if you can't relate to that, I don't assume you're a huge gamer. I enjoyed this a lot and it's my favorite track in the showcase so far.

Mark Wilson - Nice gentle production and performance. You let the instruments and the words do all the work for you. That's something I think we should all be trying to accomplish.

Skydancerdreams - This reminds me of Lisa Gail Allred, she's a singer who had a viral video last year. I like the backing track. I think the vocals have some ways to go but you can only keep on going to get better. Best of luck!

The Footnotes - Really cool! I like the vocal, it reminds me of something I thought I heard from Maxwell, taking the slow train home it was called. This track is real somber and dark. I want to listen again! This one is at the top of the pack for me.

On The Trolley - I never checked out the song you posted on 2p2 last month because I expected to hear it here, I guess you've been busy! The production on this is real good! I'm not totally feeling that brush/percussion thing in the background, but the vocals and guitars sound real nice. I think the vocal is better than some others I've heard from you, at time it sounds like you're holding your breath because the notes move around probably more than you'd like. My two cents.

I'll listen to everything again and mull it over before I vote. Hope to hear from you all soon!
Larry Ludwick
7th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurtchow wrote:

Larry Ludwick - I often have pictures in my head when I listen to your tracks, Larry. A lot of time it reminds me of music that you'd hear in a role playing game when you're exploring a town and talking to people. Sorry if you can't relate to that, I don't assume you're a huge gamer. I enjoyed this a lot and it's my favorite track in the showcase so far.

You'd be very surprised Mike at what I get around to doing. I am even shocked at what I manage to get into each single, long day. I am not a big fan of sleep because it takes away the few hours I have left in my life.

So maybe you would be surprised that I make music, listen to music, read (literature mostly), run the contest, listen to shortwave radio, am also studying animation, manga production and general sketching. With all that I play at least 2 hours of online gaming a day (Warhammer Online). I have been a fan of computer games since my first Apple IIe in 1980. I am a fan of game music especially since it has come such a long way since the 8-bit music of old. My own music (especially instrumental) always suggests something visual to me which really gives me the titles to my pieces.

...Larry Ludwick

Also, try my other page:
...Speak Words Speak

Mark Wilson (NC)
Forum Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half down half later...

Densyl - DA-DUM blues: Nice sounding recording. I like everything but maybe the bass. A bit heavy(?) compared to the feeling I get from the other tracks. Jmho of course. Does offer a sweet backdrop for a serious vocal track if you decide to add at sometime. My only thought re the 'da-dum' is that it might sound better if you edit some out. It’s an instrumental hybrid then. Or maybe not. It does stick in the head so that’s a good thing either way. I like it

Mike B is for Byj - Stop, You!: Somebody has found their grunge groove! Some effective melody elements in this one. A noticeable trend with your material. The blend of pop and grunge makes it quite unique imo. Interesting mix of lyrics, vocals, and guitars. Good mix, staged out nicely. Cool stuff

Boris - Socially Mixed: Cool intro. Solid groove. Backing tracks hold up well. The guitar bit at 1:39 is sweet touch. Rap sounds good even tho I can’t follow it. Guess I need CC. I mentioned good groove right? I feel it. Strong track

Heavy Sigma - Full House Theme Song (2nd Remix): Interesting track(s). Not sure what your target was but it’s kinda cool. The bass track’s not a real bass is it? I was tempted to go find the original track but I think I’ll spin this one more time. Lively and entertaining dood.

Goths on Drugs - Everyone is Dead: Back in my 420 youth I mighta been a GOD fan. This is a bit more effective than your last track imo. Vocal panning is effective. I had the lights off and phones on. Kinda freaky which was the intent I hope
Patrick Lew (Official SC)
Forum Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilsonNC wrote:
Heavy Sigma - Full House Theme Song (2nd Remix): Interesting track(s). Not sure what your target was but it’s kinda cool. The bass track’s not a real bass is it? I was tempted to go find the original track but I think I’ll spin this one more time. Lively and entertaining dood.

The rendition I did was based on the theme song of a popular TV show from the early 90's. I'm basically targeting the folks who grew up and love the shoe Full House and people who have that 90's nostalgia in the current generation we live in. This track was done electronically. Some of the instruments can be easily noticed as electronic instruments of a bass or a guitar. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
steve i
Extreme Posting Freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1..The Footnotes - I want my baby back -Woh..Frikkin' Great.. atmospheric 60s influenced soul blues..
Totally convincing rasping sandpaper delivery and very cool melody n hook-Timeless.. Something really resonates emotionally in me with this..Wah wah a go go..

2..Mike B is for Byj - Stop, You! -Don't love this quite as much as 'No Tilt' but still a really enjoyable slice of very well crafted guitar pop..He def knows the value of a cool chord change which i always appreciate...Has an uplifting vibe mixed with an edginess and kinda 'dumbness' thats really appealing for me..

3..Larry Ludwick - Mannequins in Love -Instantly atmospheric,evocative and engaging..Has a feel like watching the dawn arise in a great big country mansion.. Its luxurious,peaceful and has an almost healing quality..

HM..Densyl - DA-DUM blues -Absoloutly love the piano in this-Its sooooo good-like Remember A Day by Pink Floyd....Really like the song idea -but would love to hear proper lyrics with it..

HM..Skyydancerdreams - The Rules of Your Game -The songwriting musically is good..Its a really well written pop song..Cool chords -good phrasing n melodic flow..Would be great to be able to sort out the pitchiness of the vocal here

HM...On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You..Absoloutly love the melodic change on "If I was out on the beach "..Could imagine this song being done by an early 60s British invasion band -and it'd be a cool one..

LIVE VIDEO PlaYiNg oN ThE RoOf!!!!!
hurtchow
Forum Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reviews/listens, guys. Songs are fun.
skyydancerdreams
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurtchow wrote:

Skydancerdreams - This reminds me of Lisa Gail Allred, she's a singer who had a viral video last year. I like the backing track. I think the vocals have some ways to go but you can only keep on going to get better. Best of luck!!

I never heard of her -- I just listened and wish I didn't. She sucks!! Yowsa! I know I'm no Celine Dion, but I didn't think I sucked that badly!! I figured my mixing would get mocked, not my voice. Oh well, ya gotta roll with the punches. Rolling Eyes
Tim ......
1st Degree Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve i wrote:
The Footnotes - I want my baby back -Woh..Frikkin' Great.. atmospheric 60s influenced soul blues..
Totally convincing rasping sandpaper delivery ..........

Big thanks, Steve. I know I'm no Celine Dion ... but I do the best I can Rolling Eyes

--
Larry Ludwick
7th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyydancerdreams wrote:
hurtchow wrote:

Skydancerdreams - This reminds me of Lisa Gail Allred, she's a singer who had a viral video last year. I like the backing track. I think the vocals have some ways to go but you can only keep on going to get better. Best of luck!!

I never heard of her -- I just listened and wish I didn't. She sucks!! Yowsa! I know I'm no Celine Dion, but I didn't think I sucked that badly!! I figured my mixing would get mocked, not my voice. Oh well, ya gotta roll with the punches. Rolling Eyes

Hehehe I would not sweat that ... At least nobody has told you as they did me, "I like your instrumentals, but I wish you wouldn't sing." Yep, roll with the punches is the answer. Rock On!

...Larry Ludwick

Also, try my other page:
...Speak Words Speak

Mark Wilson (NC)
Forum Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Ludwick - Mannequins in Love: Digging the rich violin bit. Expressive. Keys minimal but smartly effective. Held my attention completely. Intriguing title btw. Very nice.

Mark Wilson (NC) - 2:00 Am: Remix of a stereo x/y mic’d guitar plus right side of an alternate track. 1.5 + 1. Yep he's branching out Smile

Skyydancerdreams - The Rules of Your Game: Catchy song that pulls you along with it. I think I just figured out the reason I was fighting the bass sound on previous songs. These headphones I’m using (sorry Densyl and Sigma) exaggerate lo bass into mudville. All the elements of a good song right here. Well done

The Footnotes - I want my baby back: Seriously fun and cool listen. Jimi/Dr John vibe. I wah wah my baby back! Totally enjoyed

On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You: Simple treatment and the more compelling for it. Dig the “Ahhs” on backing track. Some authentic fender style pup buzz is like icing on cake. Retro and Cool

Enjoyed. Mark
Mark Wilson (NC)
Forum Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There’s always a bit of angst in sorting these out. I’ve had some of these at the top of my picks before so it seems to even out if you don’t over think it and just go with the connection of the moment.

Like theses…

#1 Larry Ludwick - Mannequins in Love: Loaded with expression. Classy to boot

#2 boris - Socially Mixed: Just a solid grooving track to me.

#3 The Footnotes - I want my baby back: This track has all the stuff I like. Dripping with coolness.

HM’s

Mike B is for Byj - Stop, You!: This song has all the elements I admire but where I’ve had an instant connection to your other work this one is just left of my admitted narrow zone. You hit it off the wall nicely.

Densyl - DA-DUM blues: The intro to 0:43 on this could merit a top vote imo. I get what Ralph heard but I hear da-dum going into it and on the outro. Lyrics in the middle. Still a super track as is and in all regards

Goths on Drugs - Everyone is Dead: True to your art and the elements and energy level were all there on this one. Dreadful and freaky. As it should be

Alright then. Once more on three… Smile

Mark
hurtchow
Forum Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say.......

First - The Footnotes
Second - Larry Ludwick
Third - Mark Wilson

HMS - On The Trolley, Densyl, Boris
Mark Wilson (NC)
Forum Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Ludwick wrote:
Hehehe I would not sweat that ... At least nobody has told you as they did me, "I like your instrumentals, but I wish you wouldn't sing." Yep, roll with the punches is the answer. Rock On!
The last fellow that I recorded with listened to my guitar track and said "you sing I'll play". I didn't like it but it turned out to be pretty motivating for focusing my guitar practice. So yeah. Thick skinned and hard headed is the way out of the weeds sometimes
Tim ......
1st Degree Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurtchow wrote:

The Footnotes - Really cool! I like the vocal, it reminds me of something I thought I heard from Maxwell, taking the slow train home it was called.

Thanks Mike, I'm very flattered that you mistake me for 333Maxwell ('cause he is a much, much, much better musician than I'll ever be) ... but "Taking the slow train home" is one of my songs .... you'll find it on my swingjazza music page, just above "Just a moonlight dance" which was a collab I did with ....... 333Maxwell Very Happy Shocked Laughing

--
Lounging McCoy
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hurtchow wrote:
On The Trolley - I never checked out the song you posted on 2p2 last month because I expected to hear it here, I guess you've been busy! The production on this is real good! I'm not totally feeling that brush/percussion thing in the background, but the vocals and guitars sound real nice. I think the vocal is better than some others I've heard from you, at time it sounds like you're holding your breath because the notes move around probably more than you'd like. My two cents.

Thanks for the kind words. It's all been a work in progress but it's been fun hearing the progress I have made because of the help I've received here. The voice lessons I took when I was in high school more than 20 years ago don't translate in many ways to singing popular music so it's something I've been working on. Plus, I haven't done any serious singing since I graduated and as we all know our singing sounds great in our heads. lol

steve i wrote:
On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You..Absoloutly love the melodic change on "If I was out on the beach "..Could imagine this song being done by an early 60s British invasion band -and it'd be a cool one..

I would have never thought of that, but I can see this being a British invasion song.

wilsonNC wrote:
On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You: Simple treatment and the more compelling for it. Dig the “Ahhs” on backing track. Some authentic fender style pup buzz is like icing on cake. Retro and Cool

I guess simple is my thing. lol I just write what hits me and how it hits me. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks for the listens and comments everyone.
Tim ......
1st Degree Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Densyl - DA-DUM blues
Overall, the sonic landscape of this piece is of the very high standard that I know, and come to expect from a Ralph production, and is the type of tune I use as a benchmark to compare my own songs to in terms of overall quality/dynamics/clarity/Eq etc.
But, mixwise, there are things that I'd alter ... it seems to start with rather too much reverb on the guitar intro imo, but does balance much better once the rest of the instruments join in.
The guitar solo at 1:56 / 3:05 needs to be much louder. I love the organ and piano (specially the piano), and both could come to the fore in places as well, and I'd have pushed the drums back, and added a bit more dynamic variety to the steady drumming.
The ending is a jumble of pure magic ... nice touch Ralph. Densyl's singing is really nice, melodic, tuneful, and loose, and if you do add words then you must keep a lot of the da-dums in as well.
Despite all that nitpickin', it sounds great as it is. I like it a lot.
As a song, it sort of works without lyrics, but I'd be tempted to add perhaps just one line of singing along the lines of "And that's why they call it the blues" (at 2:42?) and end instrumentally after that ?
Nice collab, guys. If you do develop it further then I want to hear it.

Mike B is for Byj - Stop, You!
There's some great drumming and lead guitarwork in this, like the doubled/harmonied part in the middle, and the drums at 1:50 ... really excellent.
The bass is pretty nifty as well. Singing, as always, is note perfect. I do find the overdriven rhythm guitar does tend to flood the mix and mask some of the instruments a little, but that's part of the overall sound and this is a little bundle of dynamite.
Lots of great touches, like the opening chord, that lets you know that this song means business. The song is fairly short, at just over 2 minutes, but it does everything it needs to in that time, and packs a punch from the word go.

boris - Socially Mixed
This has an excellent retro funk sound, nice rhythm guitar, and very tasty solos from the sax and electric piano. .
I got 'brothers and sisters nee-ayer oh yeah' but the rest of the lyrics were a little hard to follow, its a shame they weren't posted, but it certainly has got the groove. Overall sound quality and mix is faultless.

Heavy Sigma - Full House Theme Song (2nd Remix)
Last time I heard Patrick, way back, the music was a bit random and unstructured, so this comes as pleasant surprise.
The instruments may be virtual, but learning how to use them is a vital part of many home-studio recordings, and analysing and reproducing a well structured theme tune like this is a great learning exercise, and imo you've done a great job, and learnt a lot that will help you in future recordings. I liked it, but it may lose points for being a 'cover'.

Goths on Drugs - Everyone is Dead
A goth song about weedkiller is an interesting angle .... "Weeds suffer every day ...... every one is dead, withering away", or maybe I misheard the lyrics (which aren't posted).
The overall production is much better than previous songs I've heard, and works very well for the subject matter, although the ending is cut off sharply. Good use of effects and panning, and it is full of atmosphere, but I found it a little difficult to dance to.

--
Tim ......
1st Degree Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Ludwick - Mannequins in Love
Wonderful title. The piano and viola are becoming quite trademark sounds for Larry. I like the melodic echoes, the melancholic sound and then the interweaving melodies starting around 1:15, coupled with the long notes in the background and the wandering piano chords makes for an interesting piece. Moody and played with feeling. A nice tidy major chord ending leaves me satisfied that the mannequins really are in love.

Mark Wilson (NC) - 2:00 Am
Another excellent song from Mark, an old school "man and his guitar" song full of great clean acoustic work, and perfect harmonies, and another very neatly packaged two minute song.
No more words needed, great work.

Skyydancerdreams - The Rules of Your Game
There's a lot to like in this one. The backing track is well chosen, the lyrics, melody and fit with the backing are all excellent.
There's a few things that you could do to improve the actual recording, and I'm sure Gary will help you out a lot if you take up his offer .... I worked on a collab with Gary a few months ago which was a lot of fun, and he's a nice guy to work with (imho).
I don't know what software you use, but the simple trick of doing several vocal recordings and cut and pasting the best bits of each together could pay dividends, and there's a few attack notes that need a bit of taming.
If you/Gary rework this, please let me know ... I'd like to hear it. Great songwriting though, and good to see you in the showcase again.

On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You
Your enthusiasm is infectious. I admire the way you try to do and play everything. This has a nice sixties feel to it, but needs a more solid rhythm secion.
I'd be tempted to lay down this track against some virtual drums, at least to start with, to give it a more solid rhythm section, then maybe try to pump up the bass ... if its mic'ed then try plugging it in direct, and play it more solidly on the beat rather than copying the guitar rhythm.
Maybe add some delay (echo) to the vocals. I like the ooh-ahs and the lead guitar has a great tone. It's got all the right ingredients, with intelligent ideas, but needs some extra punch.

--
Tim ......
1st Degree Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my votes .... if anyone doesn't want them I'll happily give them to someone else lol lol

#1 Mike B is for Byj - Stop, You!
#2 Mark Wilson (NC) - 2:00 Am
#3 Skyydancerdreams - The Rules of Your Game

HM Heavy Sigma - Full House Theme Song (2nd Remix)
HM Densyl - DA-DUM blues
HM Goths on Drugs - Everyone is Dead

--
Lounging McCoy
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim ...... wrote:
Your enthusiasm is infectious. I admire the way you try to do and play everything. This has a nice sixties feel to it, but needs a more solid rhythm secion.
I'd be tempted to lay down this track against some virtual drums, at least to start with, to give it a more solid rhythm section, then maybe try to pump up the bass ... if its mic'ed then try plugging it in direct, and play it more solidly on the beat rather than copying the guitar rhythm.
Maybe add some delay (echo) to the vocals. I like the ooh-ahs and the lead guitar has a great tone. It's got all the right ingredients, with intelligent ideas, but needs some extra punch.

Thanks Tim. I just bought some stuff so I can record on my new computer. Since I was spending money I figured I might as well get EZdrummer so I'll be giving that a shot. It feels like cheating, though. lol I have always felt like my drum writing has been lacking. I don't play drums so I guess I just don't get it. I also recently purchased some honest to goodness (cheap) studio monitors so hopefully that will help. The bass is from a keyboard. It sounds better than the MIDIs I have been using IMO, but a friend loaned me a bass guitar and I have been messing around trying to figure out how to work it so I'll be trying that in the future as well.
Larry Ludwick
7th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my thoughts:

Densyl - DA-DUM blues – A nice sounding instrumental working here with excellent piano, bass and guitar work. Densyl’s vocalizations suggest that completing a lyric and fully worded vocal would be a piece of cake. I guess often Blues requires a message even if it is just an “I am Blue” communication. Great, but it does need completion.

Mike B is for Byj - Stop, You! – Something was throwing me about the song at the very beginning, but it just needed my head to shift gears to get the sound working for me. From there on, I was getting into the song which is in Mike’s more common theme of the dysfunctional relationship … I like that much better than the syrup and cream themes of other love songs. The lyrics worked well for me especially the play on ‘Stop, Drop and Roll’ which is used more to create fiery chaos rather than to stop it. BTW, I liked the guitar break which is perfectly set in the feeling of the song.

boris - Socially Mixed – Not really the ‘boris’ music I am used to … I wonder how this was created … was it from samples? A remix? Whatever, it works for me with quite a musical edge and tons of ‘replay’ power. The song gets decent marks for getting it just right.

Heavy Sigma - Full House Theme Song (2nd Remix) – A midi take on the Full House Theme which had me running to YouTube for comparison. I was not a big fan of the show, but I was surprised how little I remembered of the theme. This does capture the essence of the Theme which is actually much better in my opinion than trying to duplicate it too closely. Kind of fun to be pulled back to the years of big hair.

Goths on Drugs - Everyone is Dead – No surprises here … as always I like the musical choices because the atmosphere is perfectly supported. The lyric content is actually intelligible here for the most part. I understand this view of bleakness because everyone at some time or other strips away the veneer of life and looks at the seamy underpinning. I am not sure how to react to this music because as with all serious music part of a response has to be to the artist’s involvement. It is possible to make this dark music and to have an apparent positive reaction to the process of life and death. But then again there are degrees in which the creator draws toward the center of the darkness; in fact, Goth in dress illustrates this relation.

Larry Ludwick - Mannequins in Love – This piece was suggested by a dance animation I was contemplating … the picture I used for the song is a drawing I did for the mannequin-like figures I wanted to use. I imagine because I was thinking of this piece it came into being. Very often lately I write music that is a duet with a conversation or a dance as the exchange. I’ve always loved the way the instruments in a piece can make statements and respond to others in a musical language.

...Larry Ludwick

Also, try my other page:
...Speak Words Speak

Last edited by Larry Ludwick on Fri May 03, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Larry Ludwick
7th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Wilson (NC) - 2:00 Am – I see that Mark mentioned something about another musician not being satisfied with his guitar playing, but for the life of me, I can’t see the reason why when listening to this song and others he has submitted. A short song which is simple but well arranged. This theme concerns the impending failure of a relationship where some sign is given of the fall of Eden. It is very often we get a vague sense that something is wrong or was wrong whether we get the sense in the moment on when we look back. A brief statement of the theme that is just long enough to capture its essence.

Skyydancerdreams - The Rules of Your Game – The theme is pretty typical of a Skydancer song … there is trouble in love and the other is not fulfilling a need or keeping up the end of his bargain. The lyrics work well although they are maybe not as focused as I would like. By this I mean the lyrics do center around the ‘game’ analogy, but not entirely. Anyway the point is the lyrics do work. Skydancer’s voice sounds different than in other songs I have heard, but it may be in response to the Poppy Sinima backing on the track. I do like the vocal which really comes close to the leads I associate with an 80’s style sound. I might have tried for some more variation in the melodic vocal line, but in all I liked the sound of the song which has its hooks for the ear (that is never a bad thing).

The Footnotes - I want my baby back – Tim Lowe’s voice is just great for this song. He reminds me of Dr. John when he is in this mode of voice. Blues are a simple statement and this case it is that a time or place can remind us of what is lost in the past. The guitars sound a bit too close at times, but I have nothing more critical to say than that. Short, sweet and blue.

On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You – If there was an award for the most improved in a short time, I would have to give it to Lounging McCoy. The sound here is really a jump up and even with only a slight vocal treatment, the vocal is much richer. I do have a little trouble with the flow of the lyrics, but the theme is great … “If I could have anything in the world, I would merely wish for what I already have.” I just like that immensely. The rhythm was throwing me at first, but Lounging maintained the feel and with that there was a real sense of a difference to the song. Maybe not my top pick, but boy has Lounging come a long way.

...Larry Ludwick

Also, try my other page:
...Speak Words Speak

Last edited by Larry Ludwick on Fri May 03, 2013 1:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Larry Ludwick
7th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to explain my votes even to myself. Most times I can put my finger on reasons for my selections even if they are a question of personal taste. Yet some things are really close here and therefore not really easily separated into 1st, 2nd or 3rd even down to the HMs. Anyway here are my votes:

1st Place Mark Wilson (NC) 2:00 Am

2nd Place The Footnotes - I want my baby back

3rd Place - Mike B is for Byj Stop, You!

HMs Cheers!

Skyydancerdreams The Rules of Your Game

On The Trolley I’d Wish For You

Densyl - DA-DUM blues

...Larry Ludwick

Also, try my other page:
...Speak Words Speak

Larry Ludwick
7th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received a disturbing PM from David Pendragon telling me that Mike Foster of AVALANCHE is gravely ill in a hospital in Miami.

David is asking for all his friends, which I know include most of us here in CC, go to his post in the Soundclick Seniors Forum titled 'Nav is very ill'. He is asking for posts with links to music that can be dedicated to Mike and to send him positive energy. It can be any piece of your music you wish. In any case, please go there and leave a message.

...Larry Ludwick

Also, try my other page:
...Speak Words Speak

Larry Ludwick
7th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation A REMINDER: TOMORROW IS THE LAST FULL DAY TO VOTE Exclamation

Events being what they are, it does not seem that important, but I thought I would mention it for those in this Showcase

...Larry Ludwick

Also, try my other page:
...Speak Words Speak

d.bill
5th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping for the best for Mike/Nav.
Not feeling wordy so here are my one sentence reviews:

Densyl - DA-DUM blues
I like the lyrics as is, as the notes say it all.

Happy dark psycho pop with great harmonization under a raw façade.

boris - Socially Mixed
Modern funk with a slick clarity; I like mine a tad more grimy but this is fresh.

Heavy Sigma - Full House Theme Song (2nd Remix)
A very different take on a show theme song; it’s good to see Patrick return.

A few of the sounds reminded me of Silent Hill 2, nicely discordant, challenging, but the vocals might benefit from a bit of reverb.

The unwavering rhythm of the piano provides excellent contrast to the other parts, a very visual piece for me.

Mark Wilson (NC) - 2:00 Am
Impeccable harmonies with every note in place.

Skyydancerdreams - The Rules of Your Game
A sad song but the contrasting happy backing gives it a feeling of moving on.

The Footnotes - I want my baby back
Time takes it up a notch with a very vocal guitar part and lot of soul that ends too soon.

The Trolly’s sound is really starting to gel; there’s not a thing I’d tweak on this song or mix.
d.bill
5th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Votes - tough as usual, with several I really hated to leave out.

1 The Footnotes - I want my baby back
Just brilliant guitar work, and the slick strings are perfectly placed

2 On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You
3 Densyl - DA-DUM blues

HM's
boris - Socially Mixed

Thanks to all for the great tunes, and I'm glad Larry's back from his well deserved vacation.
Ralph Atkinson
1st Degree Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Densyl - DA-DUM blues - Yeah, it was my bright idea not to use lyrics. All Densyl's music and arrangement. I was the band. I mixed this with a head cold so Mark may be right about this being a little bottom heavy. An alternate lyric version sounds like a plan.

Mike B is for Byj - Stop, You! - light top, heavy bottom. That's the thing Mike has going. It's that combo of light airy melodic pop sitting on top of a bulldozer. Great guitar solo and concise arrangement.

boris - Socially Mixed - I think the title describes this well. It reminds me a bit of Steve Gilmore's stuff, especially the way the vocals are laid in and phrased. Some 70's flashback funk mixed with modern club music and 'outside' jazz sax phrases. A tight focused mix that sounds like it would sound just as great in mono.

Heavy Sigma - Full House Theme Song (2nd Remix) - well, it's there, it's accurate as far as the song goes, but I'm always at a loss on how to comment on remixes because it's a production thing and I don't know the 'remix' process. But…it sounds good overall, but you might try raising the bassline up an octave or maybe add a bass line an octave higher. some of those growly ones are too deep to hear on smaller speakers.

Goths on Drugs - Everyone is Dead - this sounds absolutely horrible!…in a good way. It has form, function, dreadful chords. High dread factor.
Ralph Atkinson
1st Degree Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Ludwick - Mannequins in Love - the celeste (?) dances around the viola like Ginger Rogers around Fred Astaire. Beautifully done.

Mark Wilson (NC) - 2:00 Am - another smooth performance from Mark. You have great meter which allows your sparse guitar style to maintain the feel. Nice harmonies and production.

Skyydancerdreams - The Rules of Your Game - You have a knack of communicating interesting things in simple ways, or making simple observations interesting. Vocals could use some eq and compression, but other than that they are not far off. It's hard to properly mix a vocal into an already mixed backing track (or do you have the stems?). The backer is well produced, though.

The Footnotes - I want my baby back - a Holmanesque intro there. Nice blue atmosphere, cool guitar work. Vocals are drinkin' whisky and smokin' a big cigar!

On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You - after saying you had had voice lessons I now understand the 'operatic' accent in your vocals. A kind of stiff formality, which is the antithesis of rock&roll. It's like Pavarotti fronting for The Ramones. It's part of your style. As Tim pointed out, you seem to be wearing the same rhythm hat for every part you play. You can try to adopt a new musical personality for each instrument you play. Wear different hats. But hey, I like the way you just tell it like it is.
Ralph Atkinson
1st Degree Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My votes:

1. The Footnotes - I want my baby back

2. Mark Wilson (NC) - 2:00 Am

3. Larry Ludwick - Mannequins in Love

HM's

Man, I've had a busy week. Glad I made here in time!
Cheers!
Goths on Drugs
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-The Footnotes
2-Larry Ludwick
3-boris

Kitties of Death Free Album
Larry Ludwick
7th Degree Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked TODAY IS THE LAST FULL DAY TO VOTE Shocked

Some doubt about the final outcome so please get your votes in TODAY Exclamation

...Larry Ludwick

Also, try my other page:
...Speak Words Speak

Lounging McCoy
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Mike B is for Byj- Stop, You!
2) Mark Wilson (NC)- 2:00 AM
3) The Footnotes- I want my baby back

HM) Larry Ludwick- Mannequins in Love
HM) Goths on Drugs- Everyone is Dead
HM) Skyydancerdreams- The Rules of Your Game
Lounging McCoy
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry Ludwick wrote:
On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You – If there was an award for the most improved in a short time, I would have to give it to Lounging McCoy. The sound here is really a jump up and even with only a slight vocal treatment, the vocal is much richer. I do have a little trouble with the flow of the lyrics, but the theme is great … “If I could have anything in the world, I would merely wish for what I already have.” I just like that immensely. The rhythm was throwing me at first, but Lounging maintained the feel and with that there was a real sense of a difference to the song. Maybe not my top pick, but boy has Lounging come a long way

d.bill wrote:
The Trolly’s sound is really starting to gel; there’s not a thing I’d tweak on this song or mix.

Thanks guys!

Ralph Atkinson wrote:
On The Trolley - I’d Wish For You - after saying you had had voice lessons I now understand the 'operatic' accent in your vocals. A kind of stiff formality, which is the antithesis of rock&roll. It's like Pavarotti fronting for The Ramones. It's part of your style. As Tim pointed out, you seem to be wearing the same rhythm hat for every part you play. You can try to adopt a new musical personality for each instrument you play. Wear different hats. But hey, I like the way you just tell it like it is.

Pavarotti singing for the Ramones is pretty funny to think about. My singing tends to be people's number one complaint about my music. Even though it's a little stiff at times, I like the originality. I'm sure people told Bob Dylan that his singing stunk as well. lol I like the idea of "adopting a new musical personality for each instrument". I never thought of it that way. Good advice.

It was another fun round for me. Thanks for the listens, comments, and the fun.
inacage
Posting Freak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My computers screwing up alot so I'm going to get these votes in quick;

1 Mike B
2 Larry
3 Footnotes

HMS:
Densyl
Mark Wilson

sorry for no comments...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoundClick Boards Forum Index -> Critics Corner All times are GMT - 4 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: